If you are preparing to travel with your pet on an airline or take them across a boarder, you will not only need a health certificate, but also to be fully aware of the requirements for your destination.

A health certificate is a federal document generated by a federally-accredited veterinarian. The certificate ensures that a pet has met certain health criteria. There are two general types of health certificates for pets: domestic for interstate travel within the U.S. (usually by air) and international. Both types have stringent rules veterinarians cannot bend.

If you are travelling domestic, click here to check the requirements for your destination state(s).

International health certificates are usually far more complicated and have stringent policies depending upon the country. They may take upto couple of months at times to complete due to requirements for vaccination, testing, and how long to wait after administering certain treatments/vaccinations before we can issue the health certificate. Policies also vary based on if they will be travelling with you or as a Cargo.

In addition, health certificates are only valid for a certain period of time so we will issue it with in the validity period for your destination country.

Since requirements are determined by each country and can change frequently, we suggest you check the current pet travel health requirements for your destination country by visiting USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service USDA APHIS.

At Renton Veterinary Hospital, we are able to provide you with an pet health certificate for both domestic and international needs. Given some destinations require such in depth testing prior to travel to avoid lengthy quarantine, be sure to schedule your appointment well in advance of your travel date.

If you have any questions about our services, please contact us today at 425-255-8676.